We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
PC Gamer Minecraft Demo
The PC Gamer Minecraft Demo is a demo version of Minecraft Beta 1.3, that was bundled with issue 214 of PC Gamer magazine. It provides 100 minutes (equal to five days in-game) of gameplay, after which it will tell the player to buy the game in order to continue playing on the current map.
The demo gives access to all the features found in the full version of the game but limits the player to the demo world. The demo world, which uses the seed 108181935, has been altered slightly to help guide newcomers to Minecraft. The demo spawns the player at: x: 166.5 y: 65.6 z: -56.5.
The player's save game is saved(on Windows) in "%appdata%\.minecraft\saves" and is fully compatible with the full version, making it playable after purchase. The demo and information can be downloaded here.
The demo contains an exclusive cow skin branded with the PC Gamer logo.
- If you are at or above layer 89 after the demo expires, you can still interact with the world at or above layer 89.
- If your window is at its smaller size while you are playing the demo and you enlarge the window all of the blocks will become transparent revealing underground caverns.
- If you open two windows of the demo, one of them playing the world, but paused, and the other one, on the home menu, reset the demo world and then click back to game on the other window, and an error message will occur, and if you play the demo, the time will be reset, but not the world, and your inventory items are lost, but not the items in chests.
- Purchased versions of Minecraft have code from the demo, which wasn't used until Minecraft 1.3.
- PC Gamer changed the following to the world: 53 red wool, 90 snow blocks, 112 black wool, 3 chests, a sign, 22 gunpowder, a nearly broken iron pickaxe, a nearly broken iron axe, a nearly broken flint and steel, 4 coal, 5 bread, 4 string, 12 torches, 2 sticks, and 3 compasses.
- The demo has files for functions added in later updates, such as the sound effects for wolves, weather and pistons. However, they are not used.
- If you dig directly underneath the sign telling you how to open the chest, you can find a chest that contains 22 gunpowder.
- If you go to sleep in a bed and skip the night, it will remove that time from your clock, decreasing your play time.
- If you have a bucket with you after the demo expires, you can use that bucket to milk a cow despite not being able to interact with anything else.
- You can also interact with boats after the demo expires.
- If you look hard enough, way out from the spawn point, in a desert, there is a chest with a saddle and other necessities. The chest is blocking a small spring from flowing all the way.
- If a player goes left when they reach the PC Gamer sign, they will find a skeleton dungeon.
- While mining, if you press "e" then keep mining you will keep mining but your pickaxe will not move until you stop mining.
- The "PC Gamer" logo can be mined. It is composed of snow blocks, red wool and black wool.
- If you dig straight down at the spawn point, at bedrock level, there is 1 diamond.