Minecraft Earthは、モバイル端末向けに開発中の拡張現実（Augmented Reality; AR）を利用したゲームである。
In the map, you can see your character, which can be changed with the skins owned from the marketplace. Scattered around the maps are Tappables. If a Tappable is within your collection range, you will be able to tap it and collect items. There are multiple types of Tappables, including stone, grass, chests, and mobs.
Adventures will also appear on the map. Adventures are the survival aspect of Minecraft Earth. You will fight mobs, and collect rewards.
This version of Minecraft features many unique gameplay aspects and interactions similar to the main game.
This is not a port of an existing game, and is an adaption of Minecraft (Bedrock), and Minecraft: Java Edition. This version of the game is built off the Bedrock Engine.
This version of Minecraft utilizes Xbox Live.
The game uses Azure's new Azure Spatial Anchors along with Open Maps technology to help with the experience. This helps map out where certain objects should be along with pinning players' builds.
Build plates can vary from size, reaching up to 200 feet (60 metres). Using the shop, players can upgrade the size of their plot, or buy a new plot. Plots can also be earned via a leveling system.
Build plates function like personal realms, and can be used anywhere. They run in the Bedrock Engine, meaning redstone, physics, and other mechanics are identical. Players may invite friends to build with them locally and then share the world to others.
Once a build is complete, if the player want to have a persistent hologram of their world pinned somewhere, it would need to be reviewed before its pinned. Mojang claims to have a 24/7 moderation team, reviewing and looking at reports. 
People who are not invited can interact with the pinned world locally; once they leave said world everything will be reset. Only invited individuals can change the real world and take resources from it, non invited players cannot collect resources.
Build Plates can be seen through the world as pinned worlds, and can be opened to explore and interact with. To get your own, you will need to level up or purchase them through the store.
During Microsoft Build 2015, Microsoft's HoloLens team unveiled an augmented reality version of Minecraft. On May 8, 2019, a trailer was released which showed some AR mods in Minecraft Earth. On Minecraft's 10th anniversary (May 17), Minecraft Earth was officially announced.
The closed beta for Minecraft Earth was launched for AR-compatible devices with iOS in the following cities:
- Mexico City, Mexico
The closed beta for Minecraft Earth was launched for AR-compatible devices with Android in the first five cities the closed iOS beta was also launched in: London, Seattle, Stockholm, Tokyo, Mexico City.
- Pre-registration for the full game on the Google Play Store and registration for the closed beta on the Minecraft Earth site becomes available.
- The closed beta was released in the same cities as iOS.
According to the sign-up page:
|OS||iOS 10.0 or later||Android 7.0 "Nougat" or later|
|Compatible devices||iPod touch (7th Gen)
iPhone (6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XS, XS Max, XR)
iPad (5th & 6th Gen, Air 3)
iPad Mini (5th Gen)
iPad Pro (1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen)
|ARCore Supported Devices|
- Google Playストア
- "Earth FAQ" – Minecraft.net, 2019年5月17日
- "HoloLens games are too good for HoloLens" – The Verge, 2015年6月17日
- “LONDON and SEATTLE, you’re up! As the first two cities to go live in the Minecraft Earth closed beta, all eyes are on you and your life-sized minetacular (specblockular?) creations!” – @minecraftearth、2019年7月16日
- “Seattle and London are already live, and now it’s time to welcome STOCKHOLM to the block party! Södermalm or Kungsholmen, which part of the city will prove to be the most creative?” – @minecraftearth、2019年7月17日
- “TOKYO! Home of the historical and the hyper-modern, cat cafés and muddy pigs. Wait, what? Yes! Tokyo is the fourth city to join the Minecraft Earth closed beta.” – @minecraftearth、2019年7月17日
- “The Minecraft Earth closed beta is now live in MEXICO CITY! Five cities are up and running – we can’t wait to see what you create!” – @minecraftearth、2019年7月18日
- 「Minecraft Earth closed beta now on Android」 – Minecraft.net、2019年8月30日