A bone meal farm can be created by connecting a farm of choice to a composter via a hopper or minecart with hopper, to produce bone meal, or using skeleton farm, since skeletons drop bones, which can be crafted into bone meal
The most efficient farm type to connect the bone meal farm with is a cactus farm, as this can generate a lot of bone meal per hour if the farm is big enough.
Additionally if you have other farms you can make leftovers, such as seeds go into the composter.
Most farms can be used to generate bone meal.
Items can be inserted into the composter by placing a hopper on top of a composter. The farm starts by adding unwanted compostable items into the chest on the top left (see picture). The items in the chest occasionally drop into a minecart with a hopper that travels along a track over the hoppers above the composters. The items are taken out of the hopper minecart and into the composter which automatically gets composted. When the composter is fully fertilised the bone meal is taken into the bottom chests.
Bonemeal gambling is a way of farming bonemeal. Here are the steps.
- Right-click grass using bonemeal. This will generate lots of flowers and grass.
- Shear all the grass and flowers.
- Insert the compostable items into a composter farm as seen above.
- Collect your bonemeal. There is a 98% chance of regaining the original amount of bonemeal as before and a 2% chance of regaining the original amount plus an additional layer in a composter.
Note: If your composter farm has more than 1 composter, you may need to start off with more bonemeal. For example, if the farm has 5 composters, you would need to start off with at least 5 bonemeal. (You may need a few extra)
A skeleton farm can produce bones, which can be crafted into bonemeal, as well as other stuff that skeletons drop, such as bows, arrows, and armor.You can also gain XP from them. Here are the steps.
- Find a dungeon with a mob spawner that spawns skeletons, or build a dark place for the skeletons to spawn. Note that zombies, creepers and spiders can spawn too.
- Make a water stream for the skeletons to fall down to where you want to kill them.
- Kill the mobs yourself, with a mob grinder, etc. to get their drops and XP.
You may put a hopper below the block where the mobs die, so you can collect their drops and put them into a container, or an item sorter.